School of thought
- A milking cow drinks about 30 – 50 gallons of water each day. This may double based on heat stress.
- Water weighs 8.35lbs/gal; a milking dairy cow may consume as much as 420lbs (or more) per day.
- Dry matter accounts for about 12% of the cows total nutrient intake while water accounts for about 88%
- A lactating cow will consume between 18 and 25 kg (100lbs) of dietary dry matter each day
- Dairy cows spend about six (6) hours eating and eight (8) hours chewing their cuds per day.